Writing of the week
This is the continuation of part six, Design Thinking VII - Attributes
In addition to the attributes of Design Thinking, inherent to the process, we must take into account the characteristics that we must have, either as facilitators or as participants.
These characteristics are a set of several mindsets proposed by Tim Brown of IDEO, (2008) by the d.school (2009 & 2010 update) and by Baeck & Gremett (2011).
- Show don't tell: express yourself through visuals, stories or using storytelling.
- Focus on human values and needs : empathy is the core of Design Thinking. The project will never be perfect the first time, iterate, ask for feedback and implement it.
- Work for clarity: align the vision of all participants. Contextualize the project so you can all work with the same mindset.
- Embrace experimentation: make and build to learn. Improve the product with each prototype you create.
- Be mindful of process: Design Thinking is not typically a waterfall process, if necessary go to the step that interests you the most and use the tools that are useful to you.
- Bias toward action: at all times, throughout the Design Thinking cycle we must do, test, implement, improve and go back to the beginning.
- Radical collaboration: collaborate with people from different disciplines and various points of view. Diversity is the key here.
Articles & Ideas
Whether you manage a team of designers, have set up a Design Ops team or are considering doing so, or you just have a stake in design output at your organisation, creating the space for designers to do their best work is a key concern.Elsewhen & Spotify Design Team
Since Google Maps launched 15 years ago, they have revolutionised the world of digital maps and now help over one billion users get from A to B – and so much more!Jasmine Bilham
Starting to work as a designer, I couldn’t believe my luck. People would pay me to explore, experiment and try things. All I had to do is keep at it until all the pieces fit together perfectly. Lukkas Oppermann
A design system is a set of standards to manage design at scale by reducing redundancy while creating a shared language and visual consistency across different pages and channels.Therese Fessenden
Methods can be categorized as quantitatively focused (e.g., A/B tests) or qualitatively focused (e.g., interviews). Most UX research methods can collect both qualitative and quantitative data.Jeff Sauro, PhD and Jim Lewis, PhD
There is much introspection and navel-gazing in the world of user experience design. More than usual, I mean. I don’t think I know anyone that’s been in UX more than a decade who’s happy with how it’s goingJeff Sauro, PhD and Jim Lewis, PhD
Build beautiful experiences fast. The visual builder and web design tool that works seamlessly with your codebase. Unblock your team, and empower anyone to ship.
Create mockup or prototype in Figma at speed.Nucleus is a free UI component library that provides you the building blocks you need to design your next mobile app.
Explore 12,000+ Exclusive Design Resources. Download thousands of templates, illustrations, icons, and graphic assets for web and mobile app design without paying designer prices.
Say goodbye to flat static inputs and hello to real interactive inputs right on your canvas. Customize every color, label, and placeholder, then add to any prototype to create true-to-life experiences—all without code.
All remote jobs links have been removed, as the positions were fulfilled.