Writing of the week
Always focusing on a graphic quality, very visual, with strength, simplicity and functionality. All this is reflected in various comments:
- A product can itself be visual information; such is the case of a clock, a calendar, an urban map, a chart, a route indicator or a computer. In addition, the actual use of a product may involve additional visual information, such as a keypad, a control panel or operating instructions.
- Design always involves three inextricably related elements, however much the relative proportions between them vary from one application to the next: durability, utility and beauty. Consequently, design is an activity that unites the elements of durability and utility and intensifies aesthetic perception.
- In general, we can say that the conceptual model should present the information in a way that is as simple, clear and unambiguous as possible. On the other hand, the presentation can be enriched with a plethora of details, preferably applied to different aspects.
- The choice of a particular visual medium is dictated primarily by the degree of abstraction required by the information.
- When the designer finally gets around to designing the pre-tested visual elements, he or she will need to consider the meaning that users will assign to them.
- Designers of consumer graphic products should be influenced by the visual richness of everyday objects.
Articles & Ideas
Which screen sizes to design, build and test on is a perennial topic in web development. While well-built responsive websites will work at any size, during development it's easier to use a small number of sizes to check with (even in Polypane!) Polypane
Many roles can contribute to DesignOps at an organization. Organization- and design-team structures play a large role in determining who should take on DesignOps responsibilities. Kate Kaplan
“So, what kind of designer are you?” It’s a question all designers will encounter during their careers, whether it’s from someone you meet for the first time, an inquisitive family member, or fellow industry folk. Hey, you may have even asked yourself the question, in an existential sort of way. (We’ve all been there.) Spotify Design
Braun Linear is the new typeface for Braun. It has very little modulation in the line strength, so we called it »Braun Linear«. Dan Hollick
Of course, it’s great that you already store the results of your research in a place where others can find them. A folder of reports (in Sharepoint), a wiki (like Notion or Confluence), or maybe even a dedicated research repository (like Dovetail, Reveall, or EnjoyHQ). Matthijs
We all have that friend. The friend who introduces us to experiences or opportunities we didn’t know existed. Without that friend, we would be closed off to things that have broadened our perspectives. I want to be that friend to you today. If you haven’t met, I want to introduce you to a field of study that many designers may not know well. Kyle Lambert
Collaborate like never before. Transform how your teammates connect, engage and collaborate with interactive virtual space for work.
The modern way to build apps. Build your own software without code. Free until you are ready to scale.
Thousands of work teams now finish work faster and feel less stressed — when they never thought it possible.
Be one click away from users. Engage users into your product development cycle and make better products with continuous feedback from ideas, shaping to release.
Keep your Figma libraries true-to-code in a single click. Generate and sync a full Figma library from Storybook. Less grunt work, more design time.
Tired of messy spreadsheets, confusing handoffs, and expensive retrofitting? Making your software accessible doesn’t have to be that way. Stark connects with Figma and Sketch to meet your team where they already work.